Support available in the NHS

When you are feeling unwell in your mental wellbeing you can get support from the NHS.

Help from your GP

A GP can advise you about helpful treatments and guide you access mental health services.

Seek help from your GP immediately if you are experiencing the following symptoms for the first time:

Hallucinations are modified perceptions through your senses (like seing what is not there, hearing voices, touching, smelling or tasting things that are not there).

Delusions are fixed and faulty beliefs that are not real (like believing there is a conspiracy against you).

If you are experiencing other symptoms and are concerned for your mental health book a GP appointment. Your GP will guide you further.

You may be able to refer yourself to some services. In England you can refer yourself for free non-urgent psychological therapy services through IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies).

IAPT provides short term sessions to help with:

  • depression
  • generalized anxiety
  • social anxiety
  • panic and agoraphobia
  • other phobias
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • body dysmorphic disorder

Urgent NHS mental health helplines

NHS has urgent mental health helplines for people of all ages.

You can call for:

👉24-hour advice and support for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for.

👉 Help to speak to a mental health professional.

👉An assessment to help decide on the best course of treatment.

Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline here.

Urgent, non-emergency medical help

  • If you need help urgently but are not at risk of death or serious illness
  • If you are not able to speak to your local NHS urgent mental health helpline
  • If you are not sure what to do

You can use the NHS 111 non-emergency advice online.

111 will tell you the right place to get help if you need to see someone.

You may be able to speak to a nurse, or mental health nurse, over the phone.

Use the NHS 111 online service here, or call 111.

People with hearing problems can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language (BSL) service.

In emergency dial 999

In a life-threatening emergency, phone the emergency services and ask for an ambulance.

When to call 999

If you can, go to A&E if you feel your life is at risk.

Online resources 

The NHS website offers expert advice and practical tips to help you look after your mental health and wellbeing.

A services near you search tool is available to help you compare mental health service providers using your postcode.

You can also use one of the directories: